Paso Robles wines take top prizes
Paso Robles-area wines emerged as winners this month at the Central Coast Wine Competition, which chose winners from 527 submissions:
• Best of Show, Best of White Wine, Best of San Luis Obispo County and Best of Other White Dry went to: 2009 WHITE4 Huerhuero, Vina Robles, Paso Robles.
• Best of Red Wine and Best of Italian Red Varieties: Alapay Cellars 2008 Lagrein, French Camp Vineyard, Paso Robles.
• Best of Dessert Wine and Best Dessert White: 2009 Orange Muscat, Pear Valley, Paso Robles.
• Best of Cabernet Sauvignon: Aron Hill Vineyard, Templeton 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles.
• Best of Chardonnay: Harmony Cellars, Harmony 2008 Chardonnay, Paso Robles.
Submissions included wines from Ventura County and the Central Coast American Viticulture Area, which includes Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara counties. The gold medal wines will be displayed at the California Mid-State Fair, July 21 to Aug. 10.
— Julia Hickey>